Saturday, December 17, 2016

Swiss citizenship - Issue #2: What are our chances?


The Basel-Stadt migration office provides a thirty-one page guideline which spells out the requirements which must be met to become a Swiss citizen.  In the interests of brevity, I summarize them below as follows:
  1. You must have a good character. 
  2. You must be familiar with the traditions and public institutions (at the community, cantonal and federal levels).
  3. You must foster relationships with Swiss people.
  4. You must affirm the Swiss democracy and respect the applicable laws.
  5. You must be in compliance with your private and public legal and financial obligations. 
  6. You must have a certain level of language competence (spoken, written and reading) in the language of the canton where you are applying.  For us, where we live, it’s German.


Requirement #1 strikes me as pretty subjective but I’ll go out on a limb and say that it shouldn’t be an issue.  I think we’re looking good for #2 as well.  Simply put, we enjoy the traditions so compliance there comes naturally.  The third requirement refers to one’s level of integration and willingness to exist outside of the expat bubble.  Certainly, we have American friends here but I’ve never really been a fan of the expat bubble and we have many friends who are just normal Swiss people.  The stereotype of the Swiss as being stiff and unfriendly is inaccurate in our experience.  Perhaps, it’s because we live in Basel, reputed to be the most open of the cantons to foreigners.  In any event, we’re good there too.  Check.  When I looked at #4 it occurred to me that some might translate the phrasing to include the pledging of allegiance to Switzerland.  Hmmm.  When I considered this interpretation it was the first time I really looked at the decision and what it means.   My generation, as children, repeated the US version, hand over hearts, each morning of grade school.  I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America.  And to the nation, for which it stands, one nation…  I haven’t said those words in years, decades probably.  Yet they just roll off the tongue.  Funny how that is.   So, can one actually pledge allegiance to two countries?   I don’t know so I decide to translate the phrase less literally, something more like, “I promise to obey the rules and not cause any trouble”.  This, I can definitely agree to so once again, check.  Regarding #5, I have always been way too fiscally conservative to be anything but compliant in matters of financial obligations.  Check.  Lastly, with regards to the language requirement, Lisa and I should be okay because in our canton the test is in standard German not Swiss German and since all of Heidi’s schooling has been in the local schools, she doesn’t even have to take it.   So, there you have it.  On the surface we’re looking good.  Coming up next, the process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment