Wednesday, October 26, 2016

US politics, viewed from afar

Workplace discussion of politics is rarely a good idea and I expect that this year, in the US, it is especially unwise.  Over here, however, Lisa and I get a free pass.   In fact, we’re expected not only to discuss politics but also to explain them and this year that means explaining the unexplainable.  We’re asked, “What’s going on in the US?  Why does half the country hate the other half?  Why is the religious right supporting a thrice-married adulterer who’s never read the bible?  Why do so many people hate Hillary?”  Our colleagues generally have a pretty positive view of Americans (fat, friendly and hard working) so they’re mystified by the support that Trump has received.   Europeans receive their news from the so-called mainstream media since they don’t have the cafeteria selection existing in the US (news or otherwise) and they probably read more about our elections than we do.  Also, they’re clearly much more invested in our results than we are in theirs.   I remember 2008, when people here were so unanimously supportive of our having elected Obama.   Even Paige’s Kindergarten teacher congratulated her.  How she beamed.   This year, they’re concerned but I’ve been telling everyone that it’ll be okay.  I admit to not always feeling fully confident in this but we recently spent two weeks in the US on vacation and while I’ve now actually met Trump supporters, I’ve also seen that the jig is up.   That’s not to say that there won’t be significant residual issues come November 9th, there will, but the Obergroper will not be in charge.   Lisa and I did our part while stateside, mailing in our ballots (ironically from Texas although they’ll count in Rhode Island).  I made a copy to share with colleagues here and I must be doing a good job at explaining things as the only question I got was, “Who is Rocky De La Fuente”?  Also, I made them promise not to fill it out.  That would be rigging.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment