Thursday, February 28, 2019

Sexting


We remain in the naturalization holding pattern so I thought I'd address to an entirely different topic. Sexting.  It was recently brought to mind for me when I read an Atlantic article by Amanda Mull titled, Why Do Smart People Send Nudes?  It was fascinating, if disappointingly not in the least titillating but as often happens when reading articles containing links, three hours of my life quickly evaporated and by the time I climbed out of this particular rabbit hole I’d flipped through almost fifty academic articles dissecting the topic of sexting.  Who would have thought that this is such a dynamic and growing area of research?  More impressive than the body of work, however, were the results as one study summarized a meta-analysis which showed that almost half of the adult respondents reported sending nude photos.  Somewhat comforting was the finding that this figure dropped to 12% for minors, but still.  Sadly, this area of research is almost entirely devoted to adolescents and young adults so I couldn't help wondering how the numbers look for my generation, the shady side of fifty.   The only study that ventured into this age group delivered a surprisingly high number (40%) but the data was drawn from what I suspect, or hope, is a severely non-representative population of respondents, namely members of Ashley-Madison, a website whose motto is, “Life is short…Have an Affair”.   So, in response to the scant attention we’ve received - Jeff Bezos is but a single data point - I resolved to devote an hour to conducting a very scientific study which consisted of asking some work colleagues a simple question.  Have you ever sent pictures of your genitals to someone else with your smart phone?  I live and work in Europe so such a question, while not common, is less likely to be viewed as sexual harassment in the workplace here.  It’s clearly not encouraged but if you’re careful you can get away with it and not affect your work relationships too much.  In any event, it didn’t take long and by extrapolating my findings across cultures I’m happy to say that except for billionaires, no one in my generation has ever sexted a picture of their junk to someone else.   I don’t think anyone has ever even taken a picture of their junk but I didn’t ask that question specifically.  I would publish this important finding but after having scanned the articles noted above I can see that I’d have to first do some really complicated statistical analysis that I’m not qualified to do.  I’d also probably need to speak with more than ten people.  But please feel free to build upon this mound of data and let me know what you learn.  If you’re a Millennial, you can start by asking your parents, who will, I’m certain, be happy to discuss this topic with you.  At least now though, thanks to Mr. Bezos and Mr. Pecker, they’ll as least know what sexting is.  Also, in case you’re wondering how I’d have answered the question myself, let’s just say that the closest I’ve ever come to sexting, with or without photos, is a few kissy-kissy emojis and if I’m feeling especially amorous, I’ll sometimes include a little heart or two.     

1 comment:

  1. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via {automatedcardsonline@gmail.com)or (on Whatsapp,+1-929-279-3894 on Whatsapp}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD
    )
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via{automatedcardsonline@gmail.com)or{+1 929-279-3894 on Whatsapp}

    ReplyDelete