Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Basketball

A few years ago I joined a basketball club.  Did you know that you need a license to play basketball in Switzerland?   Just because it’s recreational doesn’t mean it isn’t official.  I play in the fourth division and technically speaking, I could work my way up to the pros.  The dream is still alive.   It’s been fun but I really must improve my Schweitzerdeutsch.  At least to the point where I can trash talk.  Early on, I was chastised by our coach when, after our first game, I packed up my things and left.  Nothing special I thought.  Game over.  Time to go home.  At our next training he explained to me that the custom here is to shake hands and greet each other upon arriving and when leaving.  I’d sort of observed this behavior but hadn’t realized it was so…rigidly expected.  Now I know.  To be honest, this is one of the reasons I decided to step out of the cocoon of playing exclusively with the expat gang.  After nine years, it’s time to take our assimilation to the next level and, clearly, I must study their customs more closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment